KnowledgeXchange exists to help industry leaders create those solutions.
Most challenges are well-defined and technical. You
identify the challenge
have a meeting
decide on key steps that must be taken
put your plan into action
Adaptive challenges are different. These challenges are a result of our new VUCA world.
The American military came up with a term called “VUCA” to describe the environment in our Middle East theaters of battle. It stands for volatile, uncertain, complex and ambiguous. The concept of VUCA quickly made its way into business, and it’s pretty easy to see why.
How do you know if you're facing an adaptive challenge? Instead of the nice, clean process outline above, it looks more like this:
- identify the challenge
- discover that multiple issues are feeding the challenge
- realize that for every issue you've uncovered, there are more you haven't yet found
- get conflicting input from all stakeholders as to what the challenge is and how to fix it
- research potential solutions
- arrive at only one clear conclusion: the only way to solve the challenge is to create the solution.